Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Life with a one-year-old is never boring....



In-and-Out has become one of Leo's favorite games lately. He loves to put objects, but also himself and ML, in and out, of the stroller, grocery cart, laundry basket, anything he can fit into. Thankfully he hasn't tried to crawl into a trash can, but does love to carry them around like "buckets".
So I am wondering if it's treating my son too much like a pet if I play "fetch" with him. He came up with this game all on his own, but I was happy to ablige as it means I can sit in one spot for a bit, and long bit if the object being fetched is interesting enough. Abby and Taylor are too old (so they say) to play the game anymore but they enjoy watching Leo play. If it's a ball, he may lose interest after a minute (his general attention span), but if it's a car or truck this can go on for quite some time, maybe 15 minutes. We have been struggling to come up with games that interest a one-year-old that are indoors, as it's turned cool here. We do still take our daily walks, but without the stroller these days which makes life "interesting" for me and not so interesting for Abby and Taylor. Leo has loudly and plainly voiced that he is no longer interested in lounging with a snack in his comfy throne while mommy huffs up the hills. Our walks are still around 35 minutes, 30 of which are spent getting to the end of our street and 5 spent coming back babe in arms. The "interesting" part is keeping Leo from digging into flower beds or taking apart Christmas decorations, all while getting myself untangled from Abby and Taylor. At least it's something resembling a walk, girls! Leo is amazed by things I never even noticed before, like the key with the broken chain at our mailboxes (we spend a long time here), or the small pieces of gravel in the cracks of the sidewalk. Ah, to have few cares in the world.
Last Friday we stepped out for a work party and used our first non-related/friend baby-sitter. She lives down the street and has been by while out and about in the neighborhood and has chatted with us several times. Leo seems to really like her and went easily to her. Our party was an hour away, so it took me about that long to really relax and enjoy our time. Leo did great, and was a sleeping angel when we got home four hours later.
On Saturday we went to the Children's Christmas Party put on by Bettis, and that was enjoyable. Leo got to sit on Santa's lap, though in the picture he looks un-enthused, and he thought his beard was interesting but was ready to run around, which he did a lot of. There were crafts also, of which Leo sat still for about one minute, then whisked the stick that was suppsed to be a Christmas tree from my hands and ran, yes ran, through the cafeteria wielding it wildly in front of him, creating a nervous mommy. Thankfully I was able to distract him with a cookie and hid the dangerous weapon from view.
With all this running around after Leo, I thought I would be in great shape for an aerobics class at our new gym. No problem, I think. Well, after two days of the class, it is beating my behind, but I will not give up. The "flattering" flourecsent lights and mirrors on every wall in the room keep me coming back, trying to improve that image that looks like a tired out of shape mommy. And perhaps I will be able to keep up with my fast little man.
We are headed to Boise this weekend to get a Christmas tree, do some updating on our China homestudy and spend some quality time together, so we'll "see" you when we get back! Have a great weekend.

No comments: