We three Welshes of orient are bearing a gift, we traveled so far......
Our two flights combined coming home were less than our first flight going over, but with a toddler in tow the day sure felt long. Upon arriving in Salt Lake, we had to dig our car out of one foot of snow and drive on some icy roads to make it home to our warm house that never looked more inviting.
As soon as we walked in the door with Madeline, Leo jumped into Kevin's arms and garnished many kisses on us all. He pet Madeline on the head and "Hi Baby Manlin!" He was more receptive than we could have hoped for, giving her hugs, and then running around the house showing us all his toys, reminding us how they all worked. He was really quite hysterical and had us all belly laughing. The first thing I noticed was how huge he looked and how much clearer his words were, and I rejoiced with him in his excitement that we were all finally home.
Grandma had a great time with him while we were away, and the house was filled with evidence of the great memories they made together: colored pictures, paper snowflakes, lanterns and chains, and baked cookies.
Madeline did wonderfully on the plane rides, it was quite a long day for us all but she slept through most of it. Upon landing in San Francisco she was an official American citizen and Kevin and I gave each other a high five over her sleeping head. She also slept on the three hour drive home from Salt Lake, and upon our arrival home just before 9pm, she was feeling well rested and ready to go! Since we've been home she's been quite a bit messed up on times, wanting to sleep all day and not go to bed. She's a screamer at bedtime which has been very hard to take, we've tried comforting her in all sorts of ways, but as we don't want to start any bad habits of holding her all night, we have resorted to letting her "comfort" herself, which really sounds more painful than comforting. We had to give up on her sharing a room with Leo as we planned and made a make shift room upstairs in the reading room so Leo remains the great sleeper he is and Kevin and I can get some much needed sleep, though everyone on our block can surely hear her crying. Once she falls asleep she sleeps long and hard, but getting to sleep can take a few hours. Tonight she had fallen asleep initially very quickly, but has now been up screaming for the last hour or so, heartbreaking, and we feel helpless......Grandma got her a swing, and that has been effective for naps during the day. I can't believe someone so small can cry with so much power! Perhaps she is having so much fun with us she doesn't want to miss anything....
During her waking hours, she is quite the happy little girl who loves to tease and laugh, and finds Leo very amusing. We've had some really sweet moments of the two playing together, and some difficult times when Leo wants to be held more. Adjusting from one child to two will take time for us all, but the sweet and fun moments make it so worth it. One morning while Madeline was crying in her high chair, Leo went and sang to her, so sweetly in a high voice. Watching his nurturing side come out has been so awesome.
We had a bathing breakthrough with her, finding that if we eased her into an empty sink while blowing bubbles and let the water trickle at first, she actually really enjoys it! Of course, when Leo came home and saw her bathing in the sink, he just had to do it too, so we put his lanky three foot body in after her.
Grandma leaves tomorrow and she will be sorely missed. Even Madeline has loved bonding with her in this short time we've been home. Kevin is home from work until next week so that will help, but having a third set of hands has sure been a lifesaver as we all adjust to American time and a new little one.
We had a very fun Christmas morning celebration on Saturday, and while we have yet to make it to church to celebrate we did have a Jesus Birthday party at home, complete with yummy cake!
7 comments:
Love it!!! I am so glad you are all home and Madeline is doing well, despite the sleeping headaches. Just know, you will NEVER have the same day twice. That was my mantra after Olivia when I was struggling so much! I just had to keep reminding myself, that I would never relive this day again as bad as it was, there was always a positive thing I could find!
Love you all and miss you!
I love the videos. It's amazing what love and individual attention can do. She seems to have made great strides over the last month.
Leo, Madeline is so lucky to have you. Your a great big brother.
You can tell in the videos how much he adores her.
I know it can be hard to let her comfort herself, but this way you won't have bad habbits to break later. We made that mistake with Allison and it took a very long time to get her to comfort herself.
You have a beautiful family.
I love the saying at the top. I was just reading about the saying yesterday.
Terri
I love reading the blog and am so happy and grateful that you are all making some major advancements toward a "normal" home life. Yes, I know "normal" is open for interpretation. Our family is so blessed and I am forever grateful for each and every one of you, thank you God.
Love and miss you
Always and all ways
mom
xo
Thanks for the videos. I love watching leo and madeline interact...well...Leo crash Madeline into the wall ;-) Kevin is that what you used to do with Kerry and I?
Glad you are all adapting! Love you and miss you!
precious!! love the videos of her. congrats again.
Kevin absolutly did that, makes a bit more sense as to why we are sometimes dilusional!! We have suffered severe head trauma!!
Leo, be careful...your wall banging may come back to bite you some day!!
Do you guys have a picture of the whole family???
Post a Comment