Friday, March 4, 2011

New Business

I have never seen myself as much of a business woman. Most of my jobs have been in the creative field: furniture design, floral design, and then even on to teaching preschool, which was just plain fun! I tried out a work-from-home business many years back, and maybe it was just not the right time in my life; I was young, or perhaps it was the product I was selling, which turned out not to work for me, so how could I sell it to others? I do believe there is a right time for things, and I have been ready for some time to try a home-based business once again. Why home-based? Well, homeschooling the kids is very important to us, which is blogfood for another entry. I wanted a job that would allow me to contribute financially, but also allow me to focus on schooling our kids, and focus on our family life. I wanted something that was just enough of a job to enjoy a bit of time out in the working world, and not so much that I would get burned out, lose interest, and even start to hate my job.

Now I have found a company to work for that has the right combination of fun and finance to help us achieve our goals with a home-based business. Two weeks ago I signed on with Premier Design jewelry, and will be bringing jewelry to people I meet in the form of a Home Show, that is really more like a get-together with friends, talking about fashion and focusing on jewelry. I am thrilled to be working with a company that gives its jewelers a great profit, gives its customers a high quality and affordable product, and has a biblically-based philosophy of serving others. That will truly be my focus, serving others by giving them a fun show, as well as offering others the business plan so they themselves can start their own business.

I am really excited, and really nervous! But I heard a comment recently that excitement and fear come from the same part of the brain, so I am rooting for my excitement to overshadow the fear and just get out there to have fun. Yesterday I got my jewelry I ordered so as to be able to show samples to customers, and am LOVING the product so far. I get to wear it as advertising for my business, and let's face it, jewelry is just fun to wear! This business is definitely a family business, as the company really caters to husbands who want to be involved, even if in the background. We have even enlisted the kids, or really they have enlisted themselves, to advertise: (LIttle Man) "Hey, you know what? My mom sells beautiful jewelry. Look how pretty it is!" You should have heard them squeal with delight when my shipment showed up! Gave the FedEx man a chuckle.

I will still be writing my cooking column Love and Butter, and am now writing monthly which has been fun. And most importantly, I get to still be with my kids all day, doing school, playing pretend, and enjoying being a mom, with a job that will give me just enough time away to really appreciate being a mom.

1 comment:

ccarring said...

Wishes for lots of success. Now we have someone in each of the 3 families working in their own business:-) My prayers are for you all to be happy, loving, healthy, and successful