So I will admit......when Kevin mentioned to
me that he wanted to go to a historic site based
around a golden spike in the ground, I was skeptical. So, we're going to see a spike sticking out of the ground on a RR track that is no longer used.....I think my response was, "hmmmmm" which I tried to make sound like I was interested but just couldn't respond because I was busy eating or something.
But I am not the only one on this vacation, so in that situation, one must
smile and say, "sure, honey!" even while thinking that this really means
it will be a couple hours of me keeping the kids occupied with snacks or creative
games while at least one of us can enjoy it, if there is indeed
joy to be had.
I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by this landmark....we heard interesting stories that surrounded the building and completion of the transcontinental railroad system, lives that were changed forever by it's addition to their community, tales that were as intriguing as a modern day soap opera. We might have had a good story teller, but it even kept Little Man's attention for a good chunk of time. We also learned about just how people communicated long before any modern day conveniences, just to keep on schedule with a particular route.
We then had a great time walking along the now unused track and imagining who had traveled this way before us. There was also a nice driving tour showing some different areas where old routes once went and all the work that goes into sending a rail road over or through mountains. It was well worth the stop and we all got to enjoy this connection to history.
 |
1 comment:
Sounds like some fun family time! Love the pics. And I must admit that I also take pictures of the signs I don't have time to stop and read right then. Whew! I'm glad it's not just me.
Post a Comment