Monday, May 7, 2012

The best medicine

It's that season again, when I feel like a zombie who's had too much caffeine, so not only am I drug-tired, but am cranky to boot.  Allergies.....not for the wimpy, except that I am wimpy.  I sneeze, I itch everywhere inside and out, and so I drug up to get through but end up feeling like my head is floating somewhere near Mars, so I then need coffee to bring me back to reality, and too much caffeine makes me crankier than a cornered rattlesnake.  And so to counteract that, I indulge in chocolate-anything, and so now I need to run extra hard on the elliptical to burn that off.  Except that's not really working since my aging metabolism likes to savor those chocolatey-anthings.  And since I'm so tired, my will-power is shot, so I just eat more.  So I blame my allergies for more than just my itchy eyes.  

On one difficult morning, Little man could see I was having a rough go of it, and took it upon himself to make me breakfast: applesauce, toast with honey and tea.  And I looked at him and realized that God does indeed smile down on us and sends us hugs.  For me that day, I saw God in my son's sweet smile that brought me this lovingly made gift in bed.  Did I still get cranky that day?  Probably, but I will never forget that moment I realized that no matter what, we are loved, by our family,  and by our God.  


No comments: