After our summer trip to PGH where we had a great time, I recently felt brave enough to take myself and both kids on a plane to NE to visit and let the cousins have more time together. I was a bit worried about keeping two very active kids busy on the two flights that would bring us there but was pleasantly surprised at how well they did. I have not one but two very social kids and this helped us immensely as they charmed all around us. In fact, all the fellow passengers were so charmed that they just smiled during the few occasions we had screaming. One woman even let the kids play with her palm pilot and sit in her lap. And I have to say a special thanks to the Fruit Smoothie worker at one airport as he graciously replaced the spilled smoothie that was dropped when L was sharing with his sister, how could I be mad about that? The most laughable moment was during one flight where we were seated in the back row, and as most planes have only two seats on each side, L was usually by himself, "Mommy, I'm a big boy!". This time there was a passenger in the window seat next to him who claimed that "sitting in the last row makes me get sick" so she asked the attendant to move her up a few rows. My kids were not the only toddlers in our part of the plane so I assume she really didn't want to sit in the "toddler section", I can't understand why! This left a seat open for Mel who seemed quite appreciative by sitting there quietly and enjoying the view. I also have to shout out a thanks to the flight attendant on this flight who sat between L and I during take off and landing and even let L say "hello" and "goodbye" in her microphone, which made all the passengers giggle. She was extremely friendly and was not bothered by the non-stop conversation L carried on. He must have asked her what her dog's name was half a dozen times, and with his grubby little hands shared his fruit snacks with her which she graciously ate!
Our time in NE was a blast! The cousins had great time together and we just enjoyed the day to day being together, taking Addison and Olivia to school, playing cannonball on the couch cushions, playing dress up, to which I'd like to add that Leo was the ONLY BOY and it showed, and gobs of time running around in the yard. I even felt brave enough to take ALL FIVE and walk up to the park by myself, and I'm here to tell you that four toddlers can fit on the sit-n-stand stroller! I carried one-year-old Ella in a sling, so I really got a good pushing-carrying workout. Now, the park is not far from their house, but you would have thought we were walking to the moon. And once there, our experience was not enjoyable at all as everyone wanted to sit on the one and only toddler swing. The next day Addison asked me what we were going to do that day and then said "I don't think we should go to the park again", with which I heartily agreed.
We were also there for the girls' joint birthday party, as they all have been born within a month of each other. I thought Kerry and Tony were extremely brave for putting together such a large birthday party and it was a blast, with water balloons and all. Though it seems that toddlers don't really enjoy hitting people with the balloons as much as seeing them splat on the ground, and I'm sure many adults were thankful that their aim was so terrible. Kevin also surprised us all that weekend by driving out for the long weekend. I loved seeing the happy, surprised look on Grammy's face when Kevin just sauntered in, it was great!
On the front of our trip we spent some time in Omaha with Grammy, Cassie and Lou, and got to see the Children's Museum which was a blast. Grammy and Cassie also came out for a weekend at the Chapmans to see the craziness first hand, and crazy it was! Crazy fun is all you can have with two one-year-olds, a two year old, a three year old and a five year old. Amazingly Kerry and I were able to get away a couple times to work out at the gym, to get a workout that didn't involve running, hunched over, after a toddler. I loved Zumba! And I got to catch up with the Caspars as well.
Thank you to Cassie and Lou and the Chapmans for letting our crew crash at your places, and to Grammy for shuttling us around! We had so much fun and were very sad to see it end, we miss you guys so very much. Can't wait 'til next time!
2 comments:
I think everyone had a great time. Just sorry Lou and I couldn't have been there more to share in the craziness...
Michael Leo and Madeline, It was definitely a fun time, I'm so glad you made the trip to NE and brought mommy with you and that you talked daddy into surprising us too. Thank you for coming to Grammy's office to say hi to my friends. I wish you lived closer to us and could spend lots more time with your cousins. Addison and Olivia are still talking about some of the fun things you all did together. I do know why God gives children to younger women :-)
See you in about 5 weeks, be sure to say a prayer for NO SNOW.
You'll have ask mommy to help you make a book of your travels, especially of Leo talking on the microphone on the airplane :-)
love for always and all ways
grammy
Post a Comment