Sunday, February 6, 2011

TMJ Disorder



Otherwise known as Temporomandibular-Joint disorder. Having trouble saying that? Well, try saying it with a large plastic splint in your mouth, and you will definitely sound a bit like Sylvester the Cat. For years I have suffered with jaw joint discomfort and a popping jaw when I chew, yawn, even when I talk. And now, I am doing something about it! We have a TMJ specialist in town and I am happy to say that, though the road will be long, it is getting better.

The Dr. did x-rays and all sorts of tests, and determined that my disorder (one of many, you may be thinking, but lets just stick to the jaw for now) was an oral injury. This news surprised me, but only for a second as I tried to remember when I could have whacked my jaw hard enough to injure it. Then I remembered that I am significantly clumsy and never know where the majority of the bruises and cuts I get come from. I even ran into a glass door with my nose on more than one occasion, which I am embarrassed to admit, though I guess I just did.

Overall I have had pain for about 11 years, and as it has gotten progressively worse I decided to take care of it before surgery was my only option. So for the next year, you can hear me speak like Sylvester, drool like an infant and eat soft food geared towards a one-year-old. The first two days in the splint I was actually quite distressed that my love affair with food would now have such limitations. I drank a ton of water, and a bit of chicken broth, and by the time I was irritably hungry I decided enough was enough, and taught myself how to eat again. I drink whatever nutritious calories I can and test the limits on what I can mash up enough to swallow. Today I even ate pizza! But I have to say, going to Costco no longer has the same joy, as most of the samples are off limits to me. "Would you like to try our chocolate covered almonds?". In my head I reply "Most definitely! As long as you don't mind me dribbling chocolate down my chin and spitting out the almonds because I just can't chew them. Is that too gross for you?" but out loud I say "No, thanks....". So, all in all, this has become quite a good diet plan for me.....if I'm not really hungry, eating is just not worth it!

So now I have weekly visits to work into our schedule where he checks my splints and unlocks my jaw, which does bring a bit of pain but feels so good once it is put right again. I even hit one of the assistants when my arm flung up while I was being adjusted, which sent one of my splints flying and caused the assistant to learn not so stand too close lest my reflexes injure his jaw, too!

2 comments:

ccarring said...

Good luck with this year long journey/procedure you are taking on. I hope it woks and no surgery is necessary.

antimony said...

Hey - I did that too!?!

Don't worry about the eating thing, it gets much better. I was actually disappointed it wasn't a bit worse since I was hoping it would help with weight control :)

Good luck, and if you ever need to commiserate, just give me a call!