Since we moved here, I have wanted to try rock-climbing. This is a great area of the country to do it, everywhere else we've lived is flatter than a flap-jack. Now, being in the desert mountains we have ample opportunity. Little Man is a little young, but since they didn't tell us there was an age minimum when we paid, the instructor let us participate anyway.
One look at the room full of different-skilled walls, and you may think, hey, this isn't so hard. I mean, there's padding on the floor, and my five year-old will surely catch me if I fall, right? Piece of cake! But once you get going, you're using muscles you are sure haven't been used since college.
Little Man got roped up first, we learned the proper commands for communicating. I was the belayer, and L was the climber. When I say "Belay on!", he can then ask if he can climb, and I respond "climb-on" when all is ready. These responses seem pretty straight forward, but for my little guy who could only seem to manage to stare up at this towering wall, he kept forgetting his half of the commands. He did well with the climbing, and his favorite part was walking down the wall.
I loved it and am excited to go again. I am proud to say I made it to the top! At the top there is a little squeaky toy you can squeeze before you head back down, and this was almost the most challenging part, as you have to let go with one hand, obviously, to squeeze it! I was already on an angle leaning back, straining every muscle, but I did it! And the kids giggled. My favorite part was figuring out a strategy, and the longer it takes you to sit and think, the more likely you are to fall, so the best way is to just keep on moving, thinking quickly.
A fun family night for sure, and perhaps I'll get some outdoor climbing in over the summer!
![]() |
| Mesmerized by the wall |
![]() |
| He made it just above the red line a few times |
![]() |
| It's "lovely" how those belts grip you....... |









No comments:
Post a Comment