Friday, September 21, 2007

FAILED!!

According to Idaho state law I am seen as unfit to be a licensed driver in the Great-Potato-State. Mind you it has been 15 years since I had to prove that I know what I'm doing on the road, and apparently I have become overly cautious. The first time I ever took a driving test I did not pass, mostly due to not studying and having very little practice. But now I am older and wiser (yes, it's true) and have had much practice, but still that is not enough. For example, I confused the pedestrian and school crosswalk signs, so perhaps they see that as me not having the sense to stop at any kind of crosswalk. And I chose the answer that was much harsher on drunk drivers than Idaho sees fit and that we should all slow down and drive 25 instead of 35 through town. I was allowed to miss 6, and guess what, I missed 7. The computer test is nice enough to tell you how you are doing throughout, so as I reached my 6th failure with 4 questions to go, I glanced at Kevin and, wiping sweat from my brow, thought they might even revoke my SC driver's license if I made just one more error. Mostly I was concerned that Kevin would never let me take the car out with our son inside until I remedied the situation and that he would now have something to hang over my head. And guess what? Kevin was actually very close to sharing my fate as it seems we both misanswered the same questions save my one about the speed limit. Thankfully I walked out with a lisence since SC will still have me, but will have to return Monday to try again. So we all know what I will be doing this weekend. Kevin so sweetly said that if I needed to go out anywhere this weekend he would be happy to drive me, and he would even make flashcards to aid in my studying.

Ok, forgive me for hogging the spotlight for a moment, but I had to share my humiliation with you and laugh at myself. So I think I left off last time with us arriving. Our truckload of stuff came a few days later and we have since been trying to regain some sense of normalcy. With Grammy's awesome help we were quite livable in a couple days and now it is just the small things, many many small things. Leo had a great time with Grammy and can't wait to see her again soon. The first day she was here we went and made Leo a big boy with his first hair cut. I had been reluctant for a while because he is my baby, but after being mistaken for a girl three times in one week, I felt it was time. I was a little sentimental and weepy as she gently chopped away at my son's innocence and can hardly believe the last year has zoomed by so fast. He did a great job and chowed on his bottle while making eyes at the very nice lady at Sport's Clips. The good part is that now Kevin and Leo have something they can go do together, just for them, and I watched in awe at this new bond between them as we walked out.

4 comments:

Villanueva Family said...

I am sure you will do fine on Monday. I remember growing up when I was visiting from Phoenix and your mom let us take the car to Denver. I don't know how it happened but we ended up on the medium trying to get on the freeway and I made you get out and let me drive, being from Phoenix I was use to traffic. You kept saying, "My mom won't let anyone else drive." I just mentioned that your mom wanted her car back in one peace too. Sorry Bonnie, I drove the car. :)

Unknown said...

I believe I have blocked that memory out.....Are you sure that was me?

Villanueva Family said...

Yes, I am sure. It was after we went to the restraunt we always went to in Denver that sang crazy songs. As I recall we had several events with cars. Mostly mine. Like leaving the doors unlcoked in Phoenix because you could do that in Elizabeth and your car still be there, damaging my transmission in Colorado because we went to the lake and cracked my oil pan, Coming back from Tucson and I blew a gasket (sp)... The list goes on. Now I will say that mostly these were my fault however you seem to always be there too when it happen. :) So I will share the blame. Just Kidding.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenny, that is so funny! I enjoyed reading Terri's comments too. She's right--I did want my car back. I'm surprised she didn't bring up the "ticket" incident but, then again, I think you were all on your own for that one!! tee hee I love you, MOM